The Homan Square community development effort began in 1988 when Sears, Roebuck and Co. chairman Ed Brennan approached developer Charlie Shaw about prospects for redeveloping the site of the original Sears headquarters on Chicago’s West Side. The 55-acre property included buildings designed by architect George C. Nimmons and completed between 1905 and 1907. The world’s largest wood frame structure, the Sears Catalog Facility was demolished, but the attached original 14-story Sears Tower was retained to serve as a beacon for community redevelopment. Over 350 units of affordable, mixed-income housing have been added to the site. The Homan Square Community Center Campus now sits on the site of the former Catalog Facility. The redevelopment effort has received numerous awards for excellence in community development and architecture.
Please check out this video below that discusses a part of the history of the Homan Square neighborhood.