- About Homan Square
- Providers & Services
- Event Rental
- Support Us
- Contact Us
Charles H. Shaw Technology and Learning Center
The Charles H. Shaw Technology and Learning Center is home to Henry Ford Academy: Power House High. The former Sears Power House was constructed in 1905 and provided electricity, heat and cooling for the entire 55-acre complex. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
A $40 million restoration and historic preservation effort resulted in a LEED Platinum certified historic structure that now operates as a modern public charter high school.
Historic preservation features include a restored chimney, restored windows and doors, and the retention of original power generating machinery. Green features include a geothermal heating and cooling system, an overall water conservation and management system, as well as lighting controls and energy-efficient sky-lights.