The Charles H. Shaw Technology and Learning Center is home to DRW College Prep, a part of the Noble Network of Charter Schools. This public charter school is located inside of the former Sears Power House — a coal plant that was constructed in 1905 to provide electricity, heat and cooling for the entire 55-acre complex. After a $40 million restoration and historic preservation effort, the building is a LEED Platinum-certified historic structure that now operates as a modern public charter high school.
Historic preservation features include a restored chimney, restored windows and doors, and the retention of original power generating machinery. Green features include a geothermal heating and cooling system, an overall water conservation and management system, as well as lighting controls and energy-efficient sky-lights.